Widford Village Hall (Hertfordshire)
Bell Lane, Widford, Ware, Hertfordshire SG12 8SH.
|Hall layout||Hiring Rates||Hire Conditions||Booking Form|
Widford Village Hall was originally built by George S Pawle of Walnut Tree House (now Ash View Nursing Home) as a drill hall for the Hertfordshire Regiment Territorial Army. A Staffordshire Regiment whose members were billeted in Widford used it in the 1st World War. Subsequently it became a focal point for village activities but was sadly lacking in amenities. In 1956 a group of volunteers worked together to raise the funds to buy and modernise the building – a great community effort.
Since then many more teams of volunteers have given their time and talents to maintain and improve the hall. New toilet facilities were added in 2000 and a much-admired new kitchen installed in 2009 followed by a refurbished parquet floor in the main hall in 2010.
Widford Village Hall comprises a large function room and a smaller “committee” room suitable for gatherings of 25/30 people. There is a small portable stage and an audience of 100 can be accommodated for theatre type productions.
The licence permits a maximum of 130 occupants. Hirers wishing to sell alcohol must obtain a Temporary Event Notice from East Herts District Council but the hall is licensed for music and dancing. It is available for hire by individuals and local organisations. Hire charges include the use of tables, chairs, crockery, cutlery and some kitchen equipment.
Enquiries should be made to the bookings secretary: Mrs Susie Brickwood, Tel. no: 01279 898457 or email Bookings Secretary